A down comforters life will vary, here's why.
Shop for luxury baffle box down comforters below
A down comforter will not last forever.
- A good life would be 10 to 15 years, some may last for 20 years or more.
There are, however, factors that do influence the life of one and contributors that detract from its life.
Here are a few of them.
- How often it is used.
- If you lay on top of it, you're crushing the down, and it will wear out faster.
- If you’re a restless sleeper, your down comforter will not last as long as one used by still sleepers.
- Friction between the down clusters occurs when you lay on it or toss and turn while sleeping.
- When the down is subject to friction, the fibers in the cluster break and overtime become dust.
- How you care for it.
- If you’re washing it in harsh detergents, cleaning it too frequently, or dry cleaning the comforter, it will wear out sooner.
- A duvet cover will help keep it cleaner and reduce the frequency in which it needs to be laundered.
- Pets or children sleeping on it will wear it out faster.
In the below video we explain what you should look for in a down comforter if you need to replace yours.
Life expectancy of a Down Comforter FAQ.
How do you extend the life of a down comforter?
- Do not lay or sit on top of it.
- Restless sleepers wear out a comforter faster than still sleepers.
- Don’t dry clean it or wash it too frequently.
- Cover it with a duvet cover.
- Purchase one with at least a 300 thread count shell.
- Read our article on how long a down comforter should last here.
How do you clean a down comforter?
- Washing is the best method.
- View our article on the best way to clean a down comforter here.
How do you tell if your down comforter is worn out?
- Hold it up to a light source, areas that are worn out will allow more light through the compartments as they will be void of down.
- View our article on how to tell if it is time to replace your down comforter here.
What should you look for in a new down comforter?
- A baffle box down comforter is the best construction style.
- Country of origin – USA or Europe being the preferred, not China.
- To learn more about the best and different types of down comforters, read our article on what to look for in a down comforter here.
What is the difference between down and feather?
- Feather has more structure and is heavier.
- Down has less structure in the cluster, is lighter, and provides more insulating value.
- Down is the preferred filling for comforters.
- Down and feather or a down/feather combination are the best fillings for sleeping pillows. The best type of fill material is based on personal preference.
- Pillows that contain feathers are generally firmer.
- To learn what to look for in a sleeping pillow, read our article explaining the different types of pillows here.
- Read our article explaining the differences between down and feather here