Luxury bed linens can last 10 to 12 years, if properly cared for.
Fine bed linens are not going to wear out overnight, although the exact number of years they will last is determined by quality of the cotton used in their construction, wear and care. Here are some key factors that will determine the life span of luxury bed linens:
- Bed Sheets made with low grades of cotton will wear out quicker. That is because they are made of shorter fibers, which will simply unravel and turn into lint in your dryer.
- An exposure to high temperatures can turn fibers into a brittle state. Once that occurs, those fibers are more susceptible to breakage.
- Stubble that is a result of shaved body hair scrubs against sheets, much like a Brillo pad. This can cause premature wear as well as pilling.
- The chemicals used in most laundry detergents are damaging to cotton fibers. The continual use of any detergent with brighteners will impact the life-span of sheets. Our LeBlanc linen wash is an outstanding detergent that can be purchased here .
- More weight causes more friction. That means heavier people and restless sleepers induce more wear on sheets and that translates into a shorter life span.
To shop for the finest luxury Italian bed linens click on the Shop Now button below.
The life-span of sheets:
Buying what is considered to be a good set of sheets should wind up lasting you between 6 and 8 years. However, taking excellent care of your sheets should enable them to last up to as many as 10 to 12 years.
There is nothing quite like the feel of quality sheets as you drift off into a peaceful sleep. Spending $600 on a set of sheets may seem like a lot of money, but when those sheets last 10 years, it averages out to cost 16 cents a night. That is a small price to pay for so many nights of comfort.
You may also enjoy the following articles:
- Buying Bed Sheets, how often should you wash them?
- Why thread count is not that important.
- Are expensive sheets worth the price?