What are the different sizes in US bedding?
Not everyone instantly knows the size of their mattress, or how it measures up against other sizes. Here is a quick overview on how to tell the differences starting with the measurements.
- Twin – 39” x 75”
- Extra Long Twin – 39” x 80”
- Full (also called a double) – 54” x 75”
- Queen – 60” x 80”
- King – 78” (sometimes 76”) x 80”
- California King – 72” x 84”
There are other some other important factors that will help you when shopping for or even discussing mattresses and bedding:
- Most twin fitted sheets measure 75” in length. Full size mattresses have declined in popularity over the years, thus limiting some bedding choices for this size
- Regular twin fitted sheets are too small to fit extra-long twin beds, which require a fitted sheet made specifically for their additional length
- The majority of college dorms are furnished with extra-long twin beds
- Many bedding suppliers offer only queen sizes for full and queen items, such as flat sheets, quilts/coverlets, and luxury duvet covers, they are typically labeled full/queen
- Fitted sheets are not interchangeable and are individually sized for either a queen or full
There are variations when it comes to King mattresses, with some being 76” wide and others that are 78” wide. There is no formal explanation for this difference, but it is so slight that it does not create any issues with fit. Here are some more fun facts:
- King beds are also referred to as Eastern King beds
- King beds are more popular than California King beds
- Most King flat sheets, quilts/coverlets and duvet covers are sized the same
- Cal King size fitted sheets are 72” W x 84” L, regular king fitted sheets are typically 78” w x 80” L
If you're looking for new bed linens, Vero Linens is your No.1 shopping place for fine Italian linens, with a wide selection that can fit all types of beds. Choose from our variety of fine bed linens, Italian duvet covers, feather sleeping pillows and much more as affordable prices and luxury combine to form an elite shopping experience.
You may also be interested in the following articles: